Gospel Reflections

Friday, January 9: Luke 5:12-16

The man with leprosy exactly knew that Jesus has the power to make him clean that is why he pleaded: “Lord if you wish, you can make me clean.” Jesus did not disappoint him; he got what he wanted simply because the sick man had faith. What if he had no faith would he be cured? Of course not, the first requirement for us to get what we want from Jesus is for us to have faith.

It may seem that it is impossible for Jesus to grant us what we want but for someone with great faith the impossible becomes possible. …


Saturday, January 10: John 3:22-30

John has no insecurities whatsoever towards Jesus for he knew where he stands in the plan of salvation. When he was told that Jesus was baptizing and everyone was coming to Him. He calmly said: “You yourselves can testify that I said that I am not the Christ, but that I was sent before him. The one who has the bride is the bridegroom; the best man, who stands and listens for him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom’s voice. So this joy of mine has been made complete. He must increase; I must decrease.”

John was never tempted to upstage Jesus even if there was an inviting opportunity to do so for he knew his role was to be the best man for the bridegroom that is Jesus. John’s role was to prepare the way for Him and he did it with great humility; John even said: “He must increase and I must decrease.”

How about us? Are we not often guilty of narcissistic behavior? We often crave for attention and recognition; we always want to be noticed; to always be in front.

John’s humility shames me to the core of my bones.


Sunday January 11, Mark 1:7-11 (Feast of the Baptism of the Lord)


Anyone of us who remembers our baptismal date? Anyone of us who remembers the name of the priest who presided our Baptism? I ask these questions because today we celebrate the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord. This is also the most appropriate time to once again bring to our minds the significance of our Baptism.

In the first reading it says: Here is my servant whom I uphold, my chosen one with whom I am pleased, upon whom I have put my spirit; he shall bring forth justice to the nations, not crying out, not shouting, not making his voice heard in the street. I, the LORD, have called you for the victory of justice, I have grasped you by the hand; I formed you, and set you as a covenant of the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes of the blind, to bring out prisoners from confinement, and from the dungeon, those who live in darkness.

In the second reading it says: God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power. He went about doing good and healing all those oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.”

These significant words of these two readings doesn’t stop with Jesus it also echoes to us it reminds us of our Baptismal obligation also. Our Baptism is not only a rite or a Sacrament it is also a responsibility that we need to fulfill and this is the best time to remind us all of that responsibility. …



credits:mjdasma.blogspot.com