Fukudome has faith of teammates

Piniella believes outfielder has learned a lot in short big league career

real time posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 8:28:00 AM



MESA, Ariz. -- Early Thursday, Kosuke Fukudome was in the home clubhouse at HoHoKam Park and couldn't decide what to wear.

"I'm still thinking which uniform I'll put on," Fukudome said before his two teams squared off.

The Cubs outfielder started in center field for Team Japan in a 3-2 exhibition win in front of 6,591 sun-splashed fans at HoHoKam Park.

Fukudome will officially begin his second season in the U.S. Major Leagues when the defending champion Japanese are finished in the World Baseball Classic. Japan has advanced to the second round and will meet the winner of Pool B on Sunday in San Diego.

In his first at-bat against Cubs starter Carlos Zambrano, Fukudome worked the count to 2-2, then flew out to left to end the second inning. The two exchanged a few words as they walked off the field.

"He said something first," Zambrano said. "He said, 'You got me.' I said, 'Hit it. Hit it if you can.' I was playing around, having fun with my teammate."

Fukudome also flew out to center in the fourth against Zambrano, delivered a two-out RBI single in the sixth, and flew out to center in the eighth. He's projected to share center field with Reed Johnson and possibly bat second in the Cubs lineup. More importantly, the Cubs are hoping Fukudome is in better shape. He seemed to tire in the second half, batting .217 after the All-Star break last year.

"I think he probably learned a lot from last year," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. "He's obviously a talented young man. He'll figure it out."

Fukudome said he started working on his hitting as soon as returned to Japan after the '08 season. He spent time with his former hitting coaches, who said they would come to the U.S., but only to visit. One thing that will be different this season is Fukudome will be more assertive.

"I understood what was going on throughout the season last year," he said through interpreter Hiro Aoyama, "and what the Major Leagues was about, and I'd like to speak up more to make sure my thoughts are being translated."

If he needs more time in the cage, he knows to ask for it.

"At this point, I don't have much to say," Fukudome said. "But once the season starts, I might say something."

Asked if he has returned to his old batting stance, Fukudome said he went back to what was comfortable for him.

"That's the only thing I want to do," he said.

The media attention was expected to be less in his second season. Japanese reporters have said they have other assignments and won't be in Chicago.

"I think that'll be easier on him," Piniella said. "I think the scrutiny, the pressure of the first year is over with. He can relax and play baseball the way he's capable of."

Fukudome primarily played right field for the Cubs last season but has been starting in center for Team Japan.

"I've been there, I've done it, I'm comfortable with it," Fukudome said of playing center.

Zambrano, who started for the Cubs against Team Japan, complimented Japanese starter Yu Darvish.

"He was good and his fastball was moving," said Zambrano, who struck out twice against the right-hander. "He knows how to mix pitches. You can see real good hitters like [Alfonso] Soriano, [Aramis] Ramirez, [Derrek] Lee, Milton Bradley, they were uncomfortable with that guy also."

Zambrano wished the Japan team and Fukudome good luck, but is rooting for Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic. He planned on calling his countrymen to give them a scouting report if they have to face Japan.

"Hopefully, Japan and Venezuela will go to the finals, and we beat Japan," Zambrano said.

He won't be joining Team Venezuela, despite reports that Zambrano will be a late entry in the World Baseball Classic. Venezuela advanced to the second round, along with the U.S. team.

"I'm here and I'm trying to focus on my team here," said the right-hander, who was named the Cubs' Opening Day starter on Thursday.

Was Fukudome looking forward to facing Zambrano?

"No," Fukudome said, "because it's dangerous."