Steve's Weekend Update (baseball)



On Sunday I was time for me to experience my first Korean baseball game- the Doosan Bears against the Hanwha Eagles. There were a number of differences to Japanese baseball, but most significantly the role of entertainment during the game. While Hanshin have choreographed chants to support batters while at the plate, the Korean entertainment seemed almost to run parallel to the game itself, at times capturing the crowds attention more than the baseball on show. Whether this makes Korean baseball more “American”ised I don’t know- I’ve never been to an MLB game so I couldn’t say. It certainly helped keep peoples spirits up during bad weather, but I think it did detract from the game itslef- I know I was heavily preoccupied with the cheerleaders whenever they took to the stage! Doosan took the lead after a lively start, 3-2 up after the first two. The game then went quiet until the seventh, when a three-run homer sealed the victory for the Bears.




source: stevesayskanpai