Facing The Military

April 16th, 2009

Today I pitched in a game versus the South Korean Military. It was the first time I have faced a military opponent since I was in college, when I pitched against West Point.

In South Korea all men are required to serve 2 years in the military. I find that fascinating. Despite my father's 20 years of service to his country in the U.S. Navy, joining the military is something that had never appealed to me. I am grateful for the men and women who voluntarily sign up for this necessary task. They are a special breed of people that our country heavily relies upon.

In Korea baseball players are not exempt from military service, at least not most of them, so it is very common for a player to be in the service during what might be considered the prime of his career.

I say most are not exempt because there are some players who are granted an exemption from military service. If they accomplished an athletic feat that is considered to be something the country is particularly proud of there is good chance they will be allowed to skip serving in the military. For example I have teammates here who did not have to serve after winning gold medals in international competition. I asked if players would get a pass on service after the second place finish in this year's WBC. I was told it is a possibility but that nothing has been announced yet.

Since there are so many players who are the property of professional baseball teams (currently there are 17 SK players serving) military bases will field teams that compete in the minor league season. The team we played today had 4 of the SK players on their roster.

I find the whole thing really intriguing. One of our players told me the other day that he will be entering the service this October. It got me thinking how strange that must be. You have your whole season in front of you yet you know that regardless of how well it goes you will not be playing with your team for the next two seasons. It's just one of those things that American players never have to deal with or even think about.


source: cjbaseball.com